The Glendora Kiwanis club received its Charter on May 10, 1929, sponsored
by the South Pasadena Kiwanis Club. We are part of Kiwanis International,
spanning 69 countries, with membership exceeding 300,000. Glendora
Kiwanis is part of Kiwanis Cal-Nev-Ha Division 35.
Each year Kiwanis contributes 7 million hours of community service, and
donates $100 million for hundreds of thousands of worthy projects in the
communities we serve.
The Glendora Kiwanis is one of Glendora's oldest clubs, having only been preceded by the WCTU
(Women's Christian Temperance Union) and the Glendora Woman's Club. It was charted February
13th, 1929 with 36 members under the leadership of Lloyd E. Hodges, and sponsored by the
Kiwanis Club of South Pasadena.
The original vocational make-up of the club included bygone era professions, such as orchard
supplier, citrus grower, dye business and ice dealer, along with some doctors, dentist, banker,
minister, newspaper publisher, service station (or gas station) owner, horseless carriage (or auto)
dealer and a school superintendent. Not surprising, the current club membership contains almost
all these traditional job titles.
After two years of hard work, the Boy Scouts Cabin in Big Dalton was dedicated. Ranchers
donated tractors and equipment, while physical labor was provided by Kiwanis members and the
Frank J. Gard Post #153 of the American Legion.
The club awarded Merit Awards to outstanding students, including Adrienne Teter (Chamley),
Dorothea Spencer (Slack), Betty Netzley (Sivcovich), Carlyle Colley and John Clay. Kiwanis
assisted in the support of new playground equipment at the Roosevelt school, and acted as
solicitors for the Boy Scout fund drives.
"No Dim-outs in Kiwanis" was the rallying cry for Glendora during the early and dark years of World
War II. With mandated rationing of everything essential to the war, including gas and food - the
club was faced with a challenge to its charter of service. Determined not to let even the shadow of
war prevent their good deeds, Glendora Kiwanis picked activities with special emphasis to focus
There were "things to do" lists to help boys and girls focus on productivity activities, and help keep
them out of mischief whilst their fathers, older brothers, uncles, etc, were away to war. The club
held box lunch raffles, and it was presented by the lovely lady who made it.
Kiwanis held a friendly contest with the Glendora Woman's Club to see who could sell the most
Bonds, which the club produced $38,080 - or 35% of the entire city bond effort. Members also
assisted the Red Cross, donating blood, money or activism, and when local servicemen returned
home for furloughs, they were invited as guests of honor to the weekly club meetings.
The club's message to promote Victory garden's helped account for the fact that 500 of the 1,000
homes in Glendora had just such a garden - which was a small, yet important, effort to win the war.
$375 worth of remodeling was conducted on the Big Dalton Boy Scouts Cabin, with labor provided
by the Kiwanis membership.
Junior Congressman Richard Nixon speaks at the club meeting, October 8th, 1948. It was reported
to be standing room only.
Coming Soon...We are testing the memories of our older members!
Boy Scout Troop #482 Scoutmaster Harold Lefler informs the Club that 1,000 Boy Scouts have
enjoyed the mountain camping provided by the Kiwanis efforts. The Kiwanis relinquished
ownership of the cabin to the City of Glendora, who has maintained the site ever since.
Coming soon! Our short-term memory isn't so great!
Over the past almost 70 years, the Glendora Kiwanis have exemplified the city motto, "Pride of the
|History of the Kiwanis Club of Glendora
|Meetings and Club Leadership
|The Kiwanis Club of Glendora meets at 7 AM every Thursday morning, at 310
Amelia Avenue,Glendora, CA at the Glendora Country Club. Our meetings are
typically one hour, include a great breakfast, regular guest speakers on a
variety of interesting and important topics, and of course conducting the
primary business of improving the lives of children in the greater Glendora
The camaraderie shared by club members during meetings and during
community events is good-natured and infectious - come see for yourself!
Drop a line to email@example.com and we'll contact you with
Officers 2010-11 2009-10
President: Ken Herman Diane Norman
President Elect: Dr. Bruce Schutte Ken Herman
Vice President/Program: Nicholle Brang Nicholle Hernandez
Secretary : John Lundstrom John Lundstrom
Treasurer: Judi Rudd Judi Rudd
Asst. Treasurer: Gene Murabito Gene Murabito
Social Director: Pam Vermons Pam Vermons
Asst. Judy Gilham
Asst. Diane Norman
Past President: Diane Norman Daryl Overlock
Newsletter/ P. R. Dave Culp Dave Culp
Board of Directors 2010-11
Greg Gillham Phil Huisman
Wes Purkiss Hal Workman
Elaine Salamone Wes Menard
Terry Damron Dick Paulus
Leonard Pihlak Judy Gillham
Home Club for Division 35
Sister Club for Division 35